svn commit: samba r4365 - in branches/SAMBA_4_0/source/client: .

Tim Potter tpot at samba.org
Sat Jan 1 23:51:06 GMT 2005

On Sun, 2004-12-26 at 22:38 +1100, Andrew Bartlett wrote:

> > WebSVN: http://websvn.samba.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi?view=rev&root=samba&rev=4365
> >
> > Log:
> > added command 'eainfo' to smbclient for displaying binary EA
> > contents
>
> While I can't complain about all these nice new features, I'm a bit
> worried about smbclient becoming rpcclient.   That is: we made a
> decision to declare rpcclient 'developer only' feature, because it was
> becoming unmaintainable, particularly in terms of not changing for
> scripts.
>
> How do we avoid repeating that?

One way is by having a better interface to the RPC and SMB functions so
that serious users can write programs easier.  I'm not just pushing the
Python barrow again either (well not much).  A really good C interface
should be easy to write short programs in, and also be able to form the
basis for larger non-trivial programs.

Another way is perhaps by having more specific utilities that do
particular but useful jobs.  Jelmer's gregedit is good example here.

I think we can do a lot better than "here's smbclient, rpcclient -
anything else and you're on your own".  (-:

Tim.