samba pipe?

Wed Feb 16 15:21:37 GMT 2005

On Thu, Feb 17, 2005 at 02:04:06AM +1100, Andrew Tridgell wrote:
> definately use a fixed charset. Either UTF16 or UTF8.

UTF8 sounds better for my taste.

>  > The idea is to have anonymous access possible for reading, updating
>  > operations (allocate a new unix id) needs to be over an ntlmssp
>  > authenticated bind with the domain member's machine account data.
>
> I don't like the idea of anonymous reading of this pipe. Why is it needed?
> The nss modules would read this via winbindd, which needs to authenticate for
> other pipes anyway.

Agreed. But doing the ntlm(2?) bind with the machine account is ok? IIRC this
can't be done in the windows world, but I think samba could implement this
without the need for kerberos I think.

> it's much better to just not have that in the interface when it makes no
> sense. By making it ref the IDL would then say "this cannot be NULL", The
> same applies to not making it a pointer at all (either alternative is fine).

Better. But for the uid2sid I would like to use a pointer to be able to return
NULL in case of an error.

> Next, what about systems with uids larger than 32 bits? I'd suggest using a
> hyper now, so that if two systems with large uid_t are talking to each other
> we don't lose information.

What should be the semantics of this? sid2uid returns >2^32, what should the
client do? Return an error? Include another level of mapping? The whole point
of this pipe is to avoid this kind of mapping.

> I also suggest you think about exactly how this will be used, and whether
> doing NameToSid and GetPWNam() as well as (or instead of) the uid/gid based
> calls are a good idea. I'm not certain which is the better choice, you'll
> need to think carefully about common usage and which provides the most useful
> interface.

The idea is to have a Samba PDC. Member workstations running winbind should not
at all have to worry about id mapping and proper 'template homedir/shell'.
Coming from there I wanted to give the minimum necessary API to accomplish
this. Groups can completely be covered by samr calls, and all that is needed
for a complete /etc/passwd entry is the shell and homedir. Given that you have
the id mapping correct. For this first design minimality of the API was more
important than convenience, there are enough redundant APIs around that need to
be implemented correct in all aspects.

After getting that right I can see obvious optimizations, like metze's
suggestion. Or remoting getpwent/getgrent.

Volker