kernel support for open share modes

William A.(Andy) Adamson andros at citi.umich.edu
Tue Feb 15 15:31:38 GMT 2005

bfields at fieldses.org said:
> The application in question is the kernel NFS daemon, which is *not* going to
> do all its filesystem I/O through Samba....

we are considering providing the kernel NFSv4 daemon with a file system
interface for OPEN that could be used instead of the POSIX struct
file_operations->open and which would include deny share bits. since struct
file_operations == POSIX operations, we are thinking of adding this special
non-POSIX open to the export_operations.

the need for this new open is driven by 1)cluster file systems (GFS, GPFS,
Polyserve, etc) that desire to be exported by mulitple NFSv4 servers, and 2)
the design point of using the cluster filesystem to bookeep share
[access,deny] as opposed to using NFSv4 memory and having an NFSv4 server to
server protocol.

the underlying file system should allow a local OPEN through the POSIX
interface on a file that has been opened with conflicting deny access by the
NFSv4 server, respecting the deny access only WRT OPENs via the new
interface....

-->Andy