Developing a VFS plugin for inhouse backup solution

Simo Sorce idra at samba.org
Sun Feb 13 23:27:24 GMT 2005

On Sun, 2005-02-13 at 10:26 -0800, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 13, 2005 at 12:11:15PM +0100, Stefan (metze) Metzmacher wrote:
> >
> > per file data can't be a simple void *private_data on the files_struct!
>
> That wasn't how I was planning to implement it.
>
> > each module in the stack would need to have it's on private pointer for
> > the open file.
> > Implementing this in the calling samba code would be very complicated
>
> Not really. I was planning to add a "register private data" call which
> took a name. The VFS caller would have to then call the requisite free
> function.

Jeremy,
I understand there may be better interfaces, but that VFS code is stable
since before 3.0.0 IIRC and many modules already use the current
interface without any pain.
I don't think there's a real need to change the interfaces now.
People just need to document itself on the vfs developers documentation,
IMHO.

Simo.

Simo Sorce    -  idra at samba.org
Samba Team    -  http://www.samba.org