Problem with reading file from VFS and Windows

Simo Sorce idra at samba.org
Thu Feb 10 08:30:43 GMT 2005

On Wed, 2005-02-09 at 21:03 +0100, Marek Grac wrote:
> I'm not quite sure how well is VFS tested [*]. Yes, VFS is very well
> tested for modules for auditing, antivirus scanner & similar but all of
> them use underlying functions (open, close, ...) on real filesystem. I
> don't have anything real underneath just database. I will try to use
> tcpdump to find out.

The VFS has shown to be really stable since now, but it assumes you
provide it a Posix Interface to you database. Any error in providing
Posix semantics to the VFS may result in odd behaviours.

> [*] problem in VFS (for example opening non-open fd) can break whole samba
> server [even shares which don't have anything with VFS]

I do not understand what you mean by: "(for example opening non-open
fd)", can you explain what's the problem and provide a sample code to
reproduce it?

Thanks,
Simo.

Simo Sorce    -  idra at samba.org