Samba authentication against Novell eDirectory

Sun Feb 6 11:42:22 GMT 2005

On Sun, Feb 06, 2005 at 12:02:25PM +0100, schmieder, holger wrote:
> thanks for that detailed answer.
> But do you know a way how an normal NDS-User can change the samba-password
> in the case the samba server is'nt a domain controller ?

Novell has several offers in that area, but I'm afraid I don't know the brand
names of those packages. You should be able to find something around the Novell
Linux Enterprise services (or so)...

The OES will contain an LDAP extension that allows Samba to read the plain text
password out of the NDS. Novell calls this the universal password. Thus you
don't have any problems with synchronization mechanisms anymore. Before that,
everything that you do is bound to fail sooner or later, as the sync mechanisms
might fail.

Volker