A bug maybe; Write list access to Read only share; security = share?

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Thu Feb 3 21:07:28 GMT 2005

On Wed, Feb 02, 2005 at 10:01:33PM -0600, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:
:
> No one has ever given me a valid reason to run security = share these
> days.  If you can show my something that is possible (and practical)
> in security = share that can't be done in security = user, I'll
> reconsider fixing these bugs.

Situations which come to mind include:
- Tech conferences, seminars, and such-like in which you might want to
  provide access for a group of people without the hassle of creating one
  (or more) new users on the system.
- Small networks, isolated or behind a firewall, with users of various
  ages and abilites (eg., my home network).  I have some shares at home
  that are set up this way to make it simpler for my kids.

Share-mode security has been around since the start of CIFS.  It's old,
and not particularly secure, but there are situations in which security
really isn't as much of an issue.

My 2cents.

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org