[Samba] Re: Large numbers of files in a directory - take #2 :-)

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Thu Feb 3 20:34:59 GMT 2005

On Thu, Feb 03, 2005 at 03:21:41PM -0500, Michael Lueck wrote:
> Jeremy Allison wrote:
>
> >The secret to this is really in the "case sensitive = True"
> >line - it tells smbd never to scan for case-insensitive
> >versions of names. So if an application asks for a file
> >called "FOO", and it can't be found by a simple stat call,
> >then smbd will return file not found immediately without
> >scanning the containing directory for a version of a different
> >case. The other "xxx case xxx" lines make this work by forcing
> >a consistent case on all files created by smbd.
>
> Hang on here... Windows app asks for file "Foo" and under this proposal it
> will not be found?
>
> If so could this create an issue where Windows app writes "Foo" and is
> successful yet goes back to read it and is told it is not there?

No, I didn't explain it well enough. Windows app asks for "Foo", Samba
internally translates it to "FOO" and if that doesn't exist returns
not found.

The "preserve case = no" causes the internal translation, the "case
sensitive = yes" causes the return if not exist in exactly that case.

Sorry for the confusuion.

Jeremy.