What is needed to address bug#1601, Excel and Powerpoint file timestamp changes?

David Pullman dpullman at cme.nist.gov
Wed Feb 2 21:37:08 GMT 2005

Bug# 1601 was created on 08/11/2004, and appended to by three other
people besides the original submitter.  It is still in a "new" status.
While it is difficult to say for sure (there are many different reports
related to "timestamps"), this seems to have been reported several times
in the past.

Is there something needed that might get this assigned?  We have a
couple of divisions that are suggesting they migrate to Windows servers
because they need timestamping to work correctly with their
presentations and spreadsheets.  We know that this behaviour is occuring
on our production 2.2.8a servers, and we can duplicate it on current
testing of 3.0.10.  We tried checking 3.0.11 but the rc1 release seems
to have group permissions broken (a user in the group with rw can only
open .ppt or .xls as read-only; only the owner can open the file
writable.)  We have also tried this on W2K file servers and while the
modified timestamp changes when a file is opened, it reverts when closed
with no changes.

We can provide any level logs and smb.conf or testparm outputs as needed.

Thanks very much.

--
David Pullman
NIST