Samba4 Pre-Linking on STRATUS boxes

Green, Paul Paul.Green at stratus.com
Wed Aug 31 16:21:49 GMT 2005

Stefan (metze) Metzmacher [mailto:metze at samba.org] wrote:
> Hi Paul,
>
> I have noticed that ld doesn't support the '-r' option on
> your OS, is that fixable?
>
> Samba4 replies on that now, and it seems to be supported by
> all other platforms.
>
> Also we now need UNIX DOMAIN sockets, for our internal messaging
>
> Any idea how to fix the samba4 build on VOS?

Sadly, VOS does not support dynamic linking or shared libraries.  We
just have static linking.  As you can imagine, this is not an easy thing
to fix.  It is on our "to do" list, but it isn't going to happen any
time soon.  I saw Jelmer's post; I hope there is an easy way to continue
using static linking.  If not, I'll have VOS stop trying to build
samba4.

At the moment, I have enough of Unix Domain sockets implemented in the
build_farm that I can build software that references them, but I can't
actually pass messages.  This feature is definitely on our to-do list,
and if necessary, I can whip up a temporary workaround, because we do
have the underlying OS support for most of this.  (Well, the current
code can't pass file descriptors; that's the biggest unimplemented piece
remaining. If you can, avoid passing file descriptors, which is a stupid
feature anyway, IMHO).  So I would say, don't worry about this issue,
we'll take care of it for you.

Thanks
PG
--
Paul Green, Senior Technical Consultant, Stratus Technologies.
Voice: +1 978-461-7557; FAX: +1 978-461-3610; AIM: PaulGreen