current release patch page

Steve Williams steve at celineandsteve.com
Fri Aug 26 19:33:20 GMT 2005

Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:

>Steve Williams wrote:
>

>>If you put together a little "bug submitter directions"
>>on exactly how to get the patches out of svn so they
>>were compatable with the commands to apply the patch, I do not
>>think it is unreasonable to expect people that have put the
>>effort into resolving the problem to throw together
>>the patches.  I have all the patches & could put them in
>>one file and email them to you, but I think they have
>>different "-p X" args.. I had never used SVN until this little
>>episode.  I for sure would not mind doing it if I had
>>just a little nudge in the right direction... maybe
>>

>A small svn howto for bug reporters would probably help though
>in your case.  Specifically for testing bug fixes while we
>are working on.  I need to write some bug  reporting guidelines
>as well.  Most people don't provide the necessary amount of detail
>to reproduce or track down the issue to begin with.
>
>But I think having the general comunity pull patches from
>svn would be a grenade waiting to explode.  The patches page
>needs to be easy to pull from and apply.  It would be too easy
>for people to pull the wrong or incomplete patch from anonymous
>svn.
>

>cheers, jerry

OMG!  I was never suggesting an "anonymous" SVN.  I am sorry if I wasn't
clear.  I 100% agree that would an unmitigated disaster.  All I was
proposing was a "complete" patch could be hung off a bugzilla report
making it easy for a samba "delegate" to drop into the patches page.

Regardless, the patch page is a great idea!

It could also make life a lot easier for the Samba team to release a
"point release" (ie:  3.0.14a).  At a certain point, just apply all the
outstanding patches to the latest release and voilla!

Cheers,
Steve