ldap was Re: [Samba] Samba 4

Luke Howard lukeh at padl.com
Fri Aug 26 01:49:54 GMT 2005

>So it seems to me the "problem" is more that the OpenLDAP and Netscape
>code does not abstract ideas through librarification of peices using well
>defined, "small", easy to understand interfaces. At least not enough to
>compel third parties to use it in different applications.

The SLAPI plugin interface, supported by both the OpenLDAP and Netscape
code, was sufficient for us to build an Active Directory compatible
directory server. I don't think there's anything particularly hairy
about SLAPI, it has even been quite well documented by Sun.

That said, building your own directory server is an excellent way to
learn about LDAP :-)

-- Luke