Credentials code extension in Samba4

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Fri Aug 26 00:26:54 GMT 2005

On Fri, Aug 26, 2005 at 08:04:40AM +1000, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> I'm just writing this to the list FYI, and for a bit of feedback from
> other Samba4 developers.
>
> As I have been working on our two kerberos auth modules, I have lost the
> ability to handle what kerberos is meant to do best, single sign on.
> This is because we no longer use the default credentials cache, but
> instead an appropriate private cache, with the supplied password.
>
> I'm proposing the following extensions:
>
> The credentials code will be able to supply as a product (like the
> username, password, realm etc to be queried) a credentials cache.  This
> may be the system default cache (if no username is specified, and one
> appears to be available), or a local cache in memory.
> (Using a local cache will therefore cause a kinit to occur etc)
>
> This will also allow a credentials cache to be created with delegated
> credentials from a Krb5/GSSAPI login (which will help both the
> kerberos-authenticated-swat case, and the CIFS proxy case).
>
> I'm also looking at hiding more of the credentials code behind access
> functions, to ensure callers can't override or query things incorrectly.
>
> It has been (correctly) suggested that the credentials code has become a
> kitchen sink, but I prefer to think of it as a growing, significant
> subsystem ;-).

FYI: You might want to also look at some of the Linux desktop "keyring"
API's that allow credentials to be shared amongst programs in the same
desktop session. I know the Samba4 requirements are likely to be a little
different in that area but it might be worth the effort to see if you
can design something that will interface easily with other credential
cache modules.

Cheers,

	Jeremy.