'make test' in Samba 3

Gerald (Jerry) Carter jerry at samba.org
Wed Aug 24 14:08:11 GMT 2005

Hey folks,

I think the infrastructure for 'make test' is workable
in the SAMBA_3_0 tree now.  If you could make sure that
it runs ok for you, that would be great.  There's only a
couple of tests right now.

Here's a session:

- --------------- start session -------------------
$ ./configure --enable-socket-wrapper
$ make test
Running Samba 3 Test suite
Added user jerry.

Starting smbd....
creating lame upcase table
creating lame lowcase table
Anonymous login successful
Domain=[SAMBA-TEST] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.21pre1]

	Sharename       Type      Comment
	---------       ----      -------
	test            Disk
	IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (Samba)
	ADMIN$          IPC       IPC Service (Samba)

	Server               Comment
	---------            -------

	Workgroup            Master
	---------            -------
Shutting down smbd (pid 2188)...

Starting smbd....
host=localhost share=test user=jerry myname=silk
Running FDPASS
starting fdpasstest
finished fdpasstest
FDPASS took 0.050603 secs

Shutting down smbd (pid 2202)...

- --------------- end session -------------------

So my request could be that developers try this out and
let me know what needs to be expanded, fixed, changed, etc...
(wrt to the infrastructure, not the tests).

The tests are scripted on per file in script/tests/t_xxx.sh
where xxx is a 3 digit number.  The tests are executed in
order.   We can also add a 'make quicktest' later by listing
a subset of the tests to be run.

Right now the tests are using the samba 3 smbtorture just
to get things running.  The eventual plan is to use Samba
4's smbtorture if it exists on the system.

And finally, if those that can commit to the SAMBA_3_0
tree want to start adding tests, that would be good.
As soon as everyone is comfortable with 'make test', we'll
turn it on in the build farm.

cheers, jerry