Domain logon issue with Samba 3.0.20pre2 -> current 3.0.20rc2

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Aug 18 06:42:43 GMT 2005

I should have reported this earlier, but I didn't trust the test
infrastructure I had setup.

On my test LAN (which consists of a separated network, backed read-only
to our main LDAP server), I installed Samba 3.0.20pre2 (SVN on
2005-07-13), and connected a WinXP and Win2k client.

We do domain logons from these clients, against the passwords in LDAP.

The WinXP client logon fine, and download their mandatory profile
correctly.  The Win2k client proceeds to download the profile, but fails
with the error 'the parameter is incorrect:  the local profile location
could not be found'.

I didn't trust this failure, because when I returned the testing
machines to my main network, they continued to fail.  It appears that
the 'corruption' sticks around in the local profile cache, which makes
this a pain to test (The fix I found was to log in as admin and delete
the c:\documents and settings\test_user).

Anyway, I have again been trying to again validate Samba 3.0.20rc2 for
use at Hawker, and the problem remains.  Furthermore, I reproduced it
with a 'fresh' win2k system (freshly reinstalled, very old hardware).
The win2k clients are *not* running current updates - last update was
about a year ago...

When I revert the setup to Samba 3.0.13, and delete the profile, the
logon succeeds.

I have captures:
http://hawkerc.net/staff/abartlet/samba-3.0.20-fail-cap/

The aug- captures are on current code, the others are 2005-07-13 (Samba
3.0.20pre2).  192.168.23.1 is the server.