svn commit: samba r9330 - in branches/SAMBA_3_0/source/nsswitch: .

Wed Aug 17 20:30:02 GMT 2005

On Wed, Aug 17, 2005 at 07:53:04AM -0500, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:
> Is the groupmember enumeration in trunk finished?  As soon
> as 3.0.20 ships, I'm going to pull it back and start
> hammering on winbindd again.

No, that is not ready for consumption yet. In particular, this is going to
kill the performance for jmcd's application, winbind in a Samba domain. This
time I wanted to get the listing of group members right, meaning that I
wanted to expand nested groups. This means that we can not use samr_lookuprids
to find out the names of the group members, this does not return the type of
the rid. Is it a group that needs further expansion or is it a user? We need
to use lsa_lookupsids, and this is *very* inefficient for large numbers of
SIDs in Samba3 right now. This definitely needs fixing first.

It is trickier than it first sounds however. smbd has to find the SIDs it can
look up itself, send them to the passdb_lookuprids call. The ones it can't
tell itself need sending to winbind, which then has to either ask its own DC
(we're a member) or the other DCs (we're a DC trusting others).

To be honest, I don't exactly remember where on that path I had to stop due to
oplock distraction. I'd have to look at that code. If the diff between trunk
and 3 nsswitch/ annoys you, I'll remove what's in there again and keep it in a
private diff that can be pulled out later again.

Volker