SOC smbclient progress

Gerald (Jerry) Carter jerry at samba.org
Tue Aug 16 14:31:57 GMT 2005

Kalim,

Pretty cool stuff :-)

$ bin/smbclient //queso/public -Ujerry%foo -W VALE
Workgroup: VALE
Username: jerry
Password:
smb: /> dir
> .                   error: Invalid argument
> ..                  error: Invalid argument
> admin               drwxr-xr-x        0  Tue Jul 11 08:13:01 2000
> hail                error: Permission denied
> bin32               drwxr-xr-x        0  Wed Mar 27 08:17:00 2002
> sp6symic.exe        -rw-r--r-- 39766496  Tue Jan 25 11:30:13 2005
> sp6a                dr-xr-xr-x        0  Tue Jan 25 12:26:19 2005
> spoolss             drwxr-xr-x        0  Mon Nov 10 10:02:50 2003
> sp6a_checked        dr-xr-xr-x        0  Tue Jan 25 11:53:39 2005
> spud                error: Permission denied
> Makefile.in         -r--r--r--    59741  Wed Feb 23 07:26:21 2005

I checked client.c and there's still a good number of commands
commented out.  Which ones do you think can be finished in time?
Obviously the [m]get and [m]put options are a requirement.
And I think cleaning up the error messages in the above output
is important.  The two directories, 'hail' and 'spud' are msdfs
links btw....  And the extra prompt for a password should be
cleaned up (since the password was specified on the command line).

Do all of the posix commands, such as chmod and chown, have an
interface in libsmbclient?

As far as final deliverables go, we can't really swap out
the existing smbclient due to some changes in the display
mode or features that people may be relying on.  So we should
probably include this as a new client.  Got any ideas for
a name?  We can eventually deprecate the existing smbclient
once all the current features are covered in the new code.

Same deal for final deliverable.  I need a patch file against
the current SAMBA_3_0 tree (as of the last week of Aug I guess).
Make sure to include the necessary Makefile changes for the
new binary rather than changing the existing smbclient make
rules.

cheers, jerry