cli_reg_create_key_ex() dcerpc fault

Chris Nicholls cnicholl at uoguelph.ca
Mon Aug 8 01:41:04 GMT 2005

Hi,

I was testing cac_RegCreateKey() (which calls cli_reg_create_key_ex) and
I found that it always fails.  At first I thought I was doing something
wrong, but after a while of it not working I fired up Ethereal to see
what was happening, and I found that the server (a winxp machine) is
responding to the CreateKey with a DCERPC fault.

I tried to create the key from another windows machine and it worked. I
made another ethereal capture from the windows machine and compared it
with the original dump.  The most noticeable difference is that the
request from cac_RegCreateKey() is 76 bytes larger than the windows
one.  I figured that something about the request getting sent out isn't
quite right, so I messed around a little with reg_io_q_create_key_ex()
but I ended up getting nowhere.

Any help/advice/comments ?

I can send the ethereal captures, or (i'm guessing) the problem can be
re-produced by running libmsrpc/test/regkeycreate in the SOC/SAMBA_3_0
branch.

Thanks,
Chris