Samba4 talloc in Samba3?

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Mon Apr 25 11:07:18 GMT 2005

On Mon, Apr 25, 2005 at 09:29:08AM +0200, Volker Lendecke wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 24, 2005 at 02:10:32PM -0700, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> > This is a very small change with very large semantic differences underneath
> > :-).  In the words of "Marathon man"... "is it safe ?" :-) :-).
>
> That's the big question why I did not right away commit it...

Let me talk to Jerry about that :-).

> If you had looked at the patch ... :-)

Actually I did look at it and was impressed at how small it was :-).
It was after that I was looking for talloc_destroy_pool() calls and
noticed the one I mentioned. I just didn't look at the patch again :-).

> > How much have you valgrinded etc. this ?
>
> Obviously I did not excercise all calls to talloc. I played around with windows
> explorer, rpcclient, net etc. Nothing really organized. The result was as
> valgrind-clean as before. One or two ones from deep inside nss_ldap, but to get
> rid of those is a bit more difficult. :-)

Hmmmmm. Interesting idea. Did you cachegrind to see if it made a difference
in performance (+ve or -ve) ? What does "One or two ones from deep inside nss_ldap"
mean ?

Jeremy (who is very jet-lagged and can't sleep :-).