cleanup over the 3.0.14 release

John H Terpstra jht at Samba.Org
Sat Apr 16 21:20:42 GMT 2005

On Saturday 16 April 2005 14:44, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:
> Just so everyone knows what is going on....
>
> I think we are going to have to reinstitute the
> letter versions for non-security releases.  In the case
> of 3.0.14, it would have been very confusing to release
> 3.0.16 which was the previous 3.0.14 given that 3.0.15pre1
> had been released.  People are somewhat already used to
> letter releases which is my I went back to this
> rather than something like 3.0.14.1.

We already do alphabetic releases in my opinion. 3.0.15pre1 is not exactly
numeric - is it? :-)

> For security releases, I still feel it is better to chew
> a minor revision number to prevent confusion in the press.
>
> So from my perspective 3.0.14 only exists as a tag in svn.
> I'm going to remove the tarball altogether from samba.org.
>
> Anyone going any major objections to this?

I am OK with your actions and plans per this email. If possible, we should
avoid letter releases.

Prehaps at SambaXP we can discuss the following:

1. The release numbering process

2. Documentation versioning so as to tie in better with release numbering

3. How we can better educate our users regarding dependencies implicit in
Samba. i.e.: LDAP schema, tdb file format, tool and utility changes, etc.

- John T.