utmp update for bsd systems (try 2)

Michael Shalayeff mickey at lucifier.net
Sat Apr 16 12:26:15 GMT 2005

Making, drinking tea and reading an opus magnum from Andrew Bartlett:
-- Start of PGP signed section.
> On Sat, 2005-04-16 at 07:18 -0400, Michael Shalayeff wrote:
>
> > what is so "wrong" in it for you?
> > maybe we can "fix" it...
>
> I don't like such low-level messing with the utmp file.  How does ftpd
> on the BSDs handle utmp?  This is the modal David Lee used originally, I
> think.

as i said in the beginning -- it's made after ftpd's code.
write(2) is low-level? it's user's api what's wrong w/ it?

> If the login() and logout() apis are not useful (has this been tested?),
> can they be improved by the BSD crew to honour the contents of the
> struct utmp?

they cannot be used. they are WRONG for this.

> Basically, I want anything that avoids doing a write() to those files
> directly.

you cannot avoid write.
you can try and prove me wrong of course.

cu

--
    paranoic mickey       (my employers have changed but, the name has remained)