Invalid characters in file names

Simo Sorce idra at samba.org
Thu Apr 7 08:15:31 GMT 2005

Hello all,
Playing with file names I found out windows 2k and XP (and previous
probably) but not w2k3 or longhorn (thank Tridge for testing) are not
able to properly handle file or directory names that end with one or
more white spaces.

Given that new clients do not have this problem and that the windows
shell do not allow you to create files with such names anyway, I would
like to add a parameter called "mangle legacy" that address this case.
The parameter will not be on by default and will be useful only for who
happen to have unix apps (or unix access eg by NFS/NCP/AppleTalk/...)
that create such filenames. If the parameter is active such names will
be mangled, otherwise not.

What do you think ?
We may do the same thing for files ending with a dot.

Simo.

Simo Sorce    -  idra at samba.org
Samba Team    -  http://www.samba.org
Italian Site  -  http://samba.xsec.it