Printers missing after 3.0.9 - 3.0.12 upgrade

psz at maths.usyd.edu.au psz at maths.usyd.edu.au
Wed Apr 6 03:14:43 GMT 2005

I just upgraded my Samba server from version 3.0.9 to 3.0.12. After the
upgrade, many of the printers are "missing": not seen by the client PCs or
with rpcclient enumprinters.

In my smb.conf I have the line (something like)

  preload = aolw aolw-1 aolw-x aolw-1-x aolw-s fylw fylw-m ...

(with many printer names, all defined in /etc/printcap). The Samba server
"sees" one only in each group:

  aolw-1-x fylw-m

(which are curiously alphabetically first according to the TDB filename

  aolw-1-x.tdb
  aolw-1.tdb
  aolw-s.tdb
  aolw-x.tdb
  aolw.tdb
  fylw-m.tdb
  fylw.tdb

). Any ideas on what might be wrong? Thanks in advance for any insight.
(Please respond also directly, I am not subscribed to this mailing list;
but will scan the archives.)

Cheers,

Paul Szabo   psz at maths.usyd.edu.au   http://www.maths.usyd.edu.au/u/psz/
School of Mathematics and Statistics   University of Sydney    Australia