Domain local groups?

Tue Apr 5 15:10:02 GMT 2005

On Tue, Apr 05, 2005 at 09:47:53AM -0500, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:
> The original code was based on the understanding that domain local
> groups are only valid in our domain (in a native 2k domain).  Are domain
> local groups from a parent domain even meaningful in a child domain ?
> This could be my bug based on a misunderstanding.  But it was tested a
> good deal during the PSA development cycle and did what it was intended
> to do.

Ok, tested the following:

W2K3AD (win2003sp1 native domain)

W2K3AD trusts WINDOWS (nt4 domain)

WINDOWS\vl is member of global group WINDOWS\global

WINDOWS\global is member of W2K3AD\doml1

XPPRO (an XPSP2 workstation) is member of W2K3AD.

If I grant access rights for W2K3AD\doml1 on a directory on XPPRO, smbclient
can cd into that directory. If I revoke access to W2K3AD\doml1, I get
ACCESS_DENIED.

To me this sounds as if we have a problem in winbind, as "domain->primary"
would point to WINDOWS, "domain" is vl's domain, not our primary one.

Hmmm. Could you follow me? :-)

Volker