new talloc interface in Samba4

Henrik Nordstrom hno at squid-cache.org
Tue Sep 28 13:47:39 GMT 2004

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 tridge at samba.org wrote:

> A number of people have asked for explanations of the new talloc
> interface in Samba4. I have written a document explaining the API in
> detail, which you can view here:
>
>  http://samba.org/ftp/unpacked/samba4/talloc_guide.txt

This is a cool beast! I wonder where the computing industry would be today
if this was a POSIX interface on memory management ;-)

Some questions:

What happens if multiple contexts have references to a pointer and the
pointer is freed? I assume it then becomes child of one of the contexts
having references to it.

Or put in another way what is the difference between references and being
a child to a context? Unless I am mistaken this is primarlily an internal
distinction from the internal talloc design and not really important to
the callers, right?

And is there an example on in what kind of situations it may be desireable
to have control over who becomes the parent when the original pointer is
freed?

In addition would you mind talloc being borrowed by some other GPL
projects? (credits given where credits due ofcourse)

Regards
Henrik