SAMBA & ISAM Databases

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Wed Sep 15 15:52:56 GMT 2004

Okay, so...

Based on the info Andrew provided and some of the other comments in this
thread, it seems that the problem is:

- Linux/Posix supports locking semantics that are different from those
  used by Windows.

  I knew, generally, this was a problem but I wasn't quite sure how much
  of a problem it was.  Seems to be bigger than I thought.  The issue here
  is two-fold.  First, the Linux client needs to translate locking
  semantics to match the needs of CIFS.  Next, the Samba server needs to
  translate to Posix semantics for all clients.  Ouch.

- The core of the problem is that the database is being accessed as a
  shared file, so each client must be able to read and write it
  simultaneously--thus the importance of locking.

Sounds as though a client/server database would be a better bet.

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org