SAMBA & ISAM Databases

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Tue Sep 14 17:45:59 GMT 2004

On Tue, Sep 14, 2004 at 07:23:43PM +0200, Pepe Guimarães wrote:
> > Comand given to mount Samba share:
> >
> > mount -t smbfs -o username=whatever,password=key //pepe/testdata
> > /testdata
>
> Could you please give me the equivalent on CIFS?

I think it's just

   mount -t cifs -o username=whatever,password=key //pepe/testdata /testdata

> As regarding NFS any advice in what to look for "when testing heavily"?

Locking coordination.  :)

I believe that, in general, the semantic differences between SMB and NFS
shouldn't be a problem in your situation.  The one area that this might be
an issue is the same area you're already dealing with:  locking.

I don't know enough about NFS locking semantics, so I don't know how
byte-range locking is handled.  Given the type of file you're dealing
with, you need byte-range locking to work across all protocols and within
the local system.

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org