Question on ntlm_auth tool

Yimin Chen ymchen at cisco.com
Mon Sep 13 22:13:03 GMT 2004

Hi Andrew,

I still have some doubt about the ntlm_auth tool, sorry for posting so
many questions. Could you please clarify them for me?

1) I see ntlm_auth has option to specify the NT/LM responses to get user
authenticated. But if we don't parse the handshakes, but just handover
to ntlm_auth tool, we won't even know which user we are authenticating.

So we still need to do some parsing to get username, domain, type of
message, etc, right? Or anything after "Proxy Authorization: NTLM "
should be passed to ntlm_auth? I am a little confused.

2) When you say "blob", is the encoded string inside the authentication
header you are referring to? Is there any document about NTLMSSP that I
should read to understand it better? The only thing I found right now is
from Microsoft site:

"NTLMSSP, whose authentication service identifier is RPC_C_AUTHN_WINNT,
is a security support provider that is available on all versions of
DCOM. It uses the Microsoft® Windows NT® LAN Manager (NTLM) protocol for
authentication."

Thanks!
Yimin