OpenVMS 3.x + port?

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Sat Sep 11 02:17:03 GMT 2004

Hello All,

I have been away from this list for a while.

If anyone is working on, or is interested in working on implementing
SAMBA 3.x and later on the OpenVMS platforms, can you please contact me,
either on this list, the samba-vms mailing list, or even by e-mail.

I am starting again to work on SAMBA for OpenVMS again, and would prefer
to collaborate with others, than to work alone.

I am also disclosing that I work at HP on the OpenVMS operating system,
but currently doing SAMBA work is not in my "official" position, so this
work, I am mostly doing on my own.

But that also means that I may be able to provide some assistance in
getting through some confusion on the various HP programs.

I can also help in setting up a build environment that can take
advantage of OpenVMS features.

What resources are available for interested parties:

HP has a program for Hobbyists where free licenses are available for
non-commercial home use of OpenVMS, and a user group is selling CD-ROM
media with the operating systems and compilers at a low cost.

There is an open source emulator for VAX that is available that will run
OpenVMS/VAX on many platforms including most Unixes.

For commercial ventures there is a DSPP program that allows licenses and
equipment to be purchased at reduce costs.

It is quite possible that for most purposes, the free hobby licenses are
all that are required.

Regards,
-John
wb8tyw at qsl.net