Question on ntlm_auth tool

Yimin Chen ymchen at cisco.com
Fri Sep 10 00:02:54 GMT 2004

Hi Andrew,

Thank you very much for the suggestion. I wasn't aware at all that
winbind_request APIs are not for external use.

Now Looking at the ntlm_auth tool again, I have a few more questions:

1) What is the option to retrieve the challenge from the server? In the
NTLM authentication case, we need to pass the challenge back to client,
and then retrieve the NT LM responses from client response, and pass the
callenge as well as the NT LM responses to the ntlm_auth tool, right?

I must have missed something, but can't figure out.

2) Is there a dynamic library API instead of binary calls of ntlm_auth
that we can use to achieve the ntlm authentication? Invoking API calls
could have lower overhead than binary calls.

Thanks!
Yimin