Can smbclient or libsmbclient do NetrShareEnum ?

Rafal Szczesniak mimir at samba.org
Thu Sep 9 22:18:50 GMT 2004

On Thu, Sep 09, 2004 at 03:24:05PM -0700, Richard Sharpe wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Sep 2004, Rafal Szczesniak wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Sep 09, 2004 at 02:54:04PM -0700, Richard Sharpe wrote:
> > > On Thu, 9 Sep 2004, Rafal Szczesniak wrote:
> > >
> > > I just did a grep in SAMBA_3_0/source/libsmb/*.c for cli_srvsvc and came
> > > up empty.
> >
> > That's because the function is in SAMBA_3_0/source/rpc_client/*.c
> > Object files from there are linked into libsmbclient.
>
> Sure, I agree with that. However, I think that the right way to fix the
> original problem is for libsmbclient to use the cli_srvsvc routines when
> it is asked to do an opendir on smb://<server>/ and fall back to the
> current RAP approach if the cli_srvsvc routine fails.

Now, I agree with you :)
Certainly, the current code allows you to call this rpc, though it
doesn't do that the way _library_ should. As you said, libsmbclient
should abstract it out, so that you don't have to worry about how it is
actually called, which is a quite complex process.

> Actually, come to think of it, it might be interesting if a bunch of
> the Win32 Netr and on on apis were implemented in libsmbclient or another
> library.

Well, honestly, I believe this kind of calls should probably be put in
libmsrpc and this is likely going to happen in Samba4.

cheers,
--
Rafal Szczesniak
Samba Team member  http://www.samba.org