3.0.4-3.0.6

William Jojo jojowil at hvcc.edu
Mon Sep 6 17:22:01 GMT 2004

Turns out it wasn't that. Although I took a hit with "wide links = no" (as
you pointed out), I was still taking a hit with it set to yes. The
symptoms were sluggish responses to directory contents and resolving
values in security tabs from properties.

I went back to 3.0.6 and large readwrite = yes (the default) was my
problem all along. I was attributing slowness due to the number of system
calls, but it was really this parameter.

AIX was doing kpread/send on 32K boundaries which for some reason was
really irritating my WinXP(sp1) client.

I turned off large readwrite and it went back to the "max xmit" default
value of 16644. This really made the WinXP(sp1) client very happy - of
course I'd like to understand why that is the case as I don't ever recall
having to change large r/w with 2.2.8a.

I then set "wide links = false" to see what you were referring to with a
more snappy environment and I could definitely see the difference so I'll
just leave that one alone ;-)

Thanks for you help (as always!) Jeremy!

Bill