svn commit: samba r2199 - in branches/SAMBA_4_0/source: librpc/idl torture/rpc

Simo Sorce idra at samba.org
Sun Sep 5 18:20:26 GMT 2004

On Sun, 2004-09-05 at 00:22, Jean Francois Micouleau wrote:
> On Sat, 4 Sep 2004 tridge at samba.org wrote:
>
> > I suppose we haven't seen this before as there are not many places in
> > CIFS/RPC where the client asks the server for a string given a number,
> > and the string is a description, rather than a name.
>
> yes. This part of the LSA privileges has always puzzled me.

*IIRC*:
The fact is that the list of privileges is not fixed but can be
extended. This means that the operating system do not control every
string that may be present and the application that decide to create an
use a new type of privilege need to provide the name and description, so
the only way to let these description be in the user language is that
the application itself provides the translation. So the server need to
be able to give away the translated strings.

It is the same reason for which the SAM has a string representation for
this objects instead of a numerical one. And when you see PDC->BDC
deltas you can see they are transmitted as strings ...

Simo.

Simo Sorce    -  idra at samba.org
Samba Team    -  http://www.samba.org
Italian Site  -  http://samba.xsec.it