Ldap machine suffix

Guus Leeuw jr. Guus-Leeuw at gmx.de
Sun Oct 31 15:51:32 GMT 2004

Folks,

I´ve been setting up Samba 3.0.7 on a test network to play since I heard
that Samba outperforms Windows as a File Server. Anyways, I tried to do the
PDC stuff (Happy users chapter in Terstra´s Samba by Example).

Anyways, all works fine up to the point where you join the PDC to the
domain. Neither LDAP nor samba really complain about anything. The only odd
thing was that samba tried to look up the computer name under ou=Users all
the time, and not finding data, allthough the computer account had been
created under ou=Computers. Hence, I could not join my domain.

Now, after telling samba that ldap machine suffix: ou=Users, it all works
fine.

Looking at the code, I see ldapsam_getsampwnam initializes attr_list from
get_userattr_list, and is looking through ldapsam_search_suffix_by_name
apparently in the ldap user suffix branch. Now while this works for normal
users, it may not work if machines are on a different branch.

Is this a known issue, and is somebody already working on it? If not, what
would be the best solution?

Kindest Regards,

Guus Leeuw
Mail:  mailto:Guus-Leeuw at gmx.de