Point and Print issues.

Gerald (Jerry) Carter jerry at samba.org
Sat Oct 30 22:15:08 GMT 2004

Igor Belyi wrote:

| Now, I'm confused - where the limitation 32 bytes
| (MAXDEVICENAME) comes from and is it really necessary?

Yes.  The devicename string is a 31 unicode char
string defined (by MS) member of the device mode.

| And second, I assume that Jerry's delta introducing
| 'force printername'  will not help to fix this problem
| since driver name is taken directly from tdb database.
| Is it correct?

It's the printername so the error will still show up
if the unc path is > 31 characters.  I'll track this
down before 3.0.8.  It's just a false positive that
gets a lot of attention.

| Issue #2. I don't like to use 'root' for Samba
| administrator so to look  like a very smart person
| I put 'admin users = domadmin' and 'invalid
| users = root' in my smb.conf. When I've started to
| play with Point and  Print I've added 'printer admin =
| domadmin' too. Looks good, right? :)

heheh.  if this makes you feel better :-)
Basicallty if root has a different password
in smbpasswd, then it is really the same thing
you have here (assuming the admin line is
in [global].

| Unfortunately, when you login as a user in 'admin users'
| list you are  forced into uid=0 and this makes the
| folloing statement in
| rpc_server/srv_spoolss_nt.c:_spoolss_open_printer_ex()
| function return False (due to 'invalid users = root'):
|
| user_ok(uidtoname(user.uid), snum, user.groups, user.ngroups)

See above comments.

| So, I wonder what was the correct solution to this
| problem? The one I've used? Removing 'invalid users = root'
| from smb.conf? Creating a pactch  to change uidtoname(user.uid)
| to a different way of finding out who the  current user is?
| Or is there something else as well?

no real good solution right now I don't think
except to enable root.  It's really just as secure as
what you have now.

cheers, jerry
"If we're adding to the noise, turn off this song"--Switchfoot (2003)