Samba4 LDAP Integration

Simo Sorce idra at samba.org
Thu Oct 28 15:31:33 GMT 2004

On Thu, 2004-10-28 at 17:07, Dustin A. Dortch wrote:
> Do you reinvent the wheel for the sake of a few things, or do you
> contribute to an existing project.  I tend to think the latter.  There
> is not any need to create a new LDAP server.  That is just more code to
> maintain than is necessary.  OpenLDAP does need some work, but maybe
> there needs to be some joint work in extending OpenLDAP, especially in
> respects to replication and manageability.

I tried to work on openLdap code, I wrote an ldb module with basic
functionality, and, at last, found it was much easier and productive for
samba4 development to start from scratch and build up a new ldap server.
It was a well thought decision.
Said that I'm not saying samba will support _only_ the samba ldap
server, we are still in early development steps in this field and being
able to have our ldap server tightly integrated helps a lot to develop
the whole project faster. Once we will have all the details and needs
sorted out we will be able to decide how to address compatibility
towards other ldap servers.

> Maybe a commercially
> available distribution of OpenLDAP, Samba, and other easily integrated
> programs is in order.  Paid support, and a portion can go to paying
> people to work on these things full-time?

If someone wants to take this road I can't be other than happy,
meanwhile who does the code decide :)

Simo.
Simo Sorce    -  idra at samba.org
Samba Team    -  http://www.samba.org