Samba4 LDAP Integration

Pierre Filippone pierre.filippone at retail-sc.com
Wed Oct 27 14:01:39 GMT 2004

Hi,

we use Samba 3 as domain controllers for a Citrix server farm and in the
near future we are planning to use these DCs also for the rest of our
network.

Although it works very well, in the forseeable future we will be obliged
to offer some sort of AD emulation, unless we get rid of Windows OSes for
our desktops, which I don't see at the moment. Longhorn will probably not
support non-AD DCs any more.

The question that arises for us is, how difficult the migration from Samba
3 to Samba 4 will be, especially regarding the LDAP backend. At the moment
we have a perfect integration of all samba related attributes in our
existing user entries. Simply add samba attributes and go.
Will it stay like this in Samba4, meaning that we can keep our existing
structure in openldap, at least regarding users and groups, and samba4
will present some kind of translated LDAP view to MS clients ?
Or are you planning to put AD entries directly into openldap, which makes
the integration of our existing entries difficult or impossible.

Has there already been made a decision or is it too early to ask this
question ?

Thanks,

Pierre Filippone