svn commit: samba r3123 - in branches/SAMBA_4_0/source: librpc/idl librpc/rpc torture torture/local

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at vernstok.nl
Sun Oct 24 20:21:58 GMT 2004

Hi Tridge,

On Fri, Oct 22, 2004 at 10:38:37AM +1000, tridge at samba.org wrote about 'Re: svn commit: samba r3123 - in branches/SAMBA_4_0/source: librpc/idl librpc/rpc torture torture/local':
> Sometime in the next couple of weeks I think we should start on the
> infrastructure needed for a "make test". Samba4 is starting to pass
> quite a few of our torture tests, but we still rely on developers
> knowing which test to run. A simple "make test" that runs all the
> tests that are expected to pass would be very useful.

> As part of this we will need to add a new process model, "-M inetd",
> in order to implement the socketpair_tcp() method of doing build farm
> testing that we use for Samba3. That method relies on being able to
> launch a smbd as a child of a smbtorture parent, which keeps the
> testing more secure and makes it easier to cope with errors.
I was wondering whether it would be ok to add some helper functions
for the torture tests. The output is currently done using printf()'s,
but it would be nice to have a couple of helper functions so we could
do something like:

torture_test_start("test_EnumValue");

status = dcerpc_OpenKey(...)

torture_test_ntstatus(status);

status = dcerpc_EnumValue(...);

torture_test_ntstatus(status);

test_start("test_DelValue");

Using helper functions (or macros) will allow us to do things like:
 - Counting the number of successful and failed tests
 - Support verbose/quiet modes
 - a GUI frontend for smbtorture ;-)

What do you think?

Cheers,