Samba 4 Status Question

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Oct 18 14:42:38 GMT 2004

On Mon, 2004-10-18 at 02:54, K Cody wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-10-16 at 21:46, Tim Potter wrote:
> > On Sat, Oct 16, 2004 at 12:52:28PM -0400, K Cody wrote:
> > > Am I still better off with Samba-TNG for a pure PDC?
> > You are better off with Samba 3 for replacing a PDC, IMHO.
>
> Samba 3 is what I've got now throughout. -TNG claims to have more mature
> support for LDAP backends. Has Samba-3 caught up? Is there nothing
> gained by switching to -TNG?

The comment is unfortunately very old.

> I've got everything working, but it's a little icky to deal with new
> users:
>
> 1) Manually create posixAccount.
> 2) Manually create courierMailAccount
> 2) Set up Kerberos 5 principal for Linux / Mac OS X logins
> 3) "smbpasswd -a user" for Windows logins
>
> New machine accounts are even more painful. I can add it automatically
> from the member server, and have it show up in the right ou=Computers,
> but I have to go edit the uid and sambaSID to keep the machine UID's in
> a separate range.

Why do you need a separate range?

Regarding your wish for one single repsository of information, that is
indeed my goal with a number of little projects I've been involved
with.  For example, recent changes in Heimdal snapshots allow Kerberos
backed off the samba password database.

https://sec.miljovern.no/bin/view/Info/HeimdalKerberosSambaAndOpenLdap

On the other stuff, I just setup scripts for my site - I have a
'hcadduser' that sets things up how *I* like it.

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at samba.org
Authentication Developer, Samba Team            http://samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net