Perl bindings for libsmbclient

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Oct 12 11:37:21 GMT 2004

On Tue, 2004-10-12 at 21:29, David Barth wrote:
> Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> > On Tue, 2004-10-12 at 03:43, David Barth wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I'd like to develop Perl bindings for libsmbclient, and would like some
> > > advice from the list.
> > >
> > FileSys::SmbClient isn't good enough?  (Actually, it needs porting to
> > the new API).
> >
> Not really. It only access remote filesystems, but I don't see how I
> can invoke RPC with this wrapper.
> I will contact the author to see if he wants to add these features.
> > However, some of the things you seem to talk about are beyond the
> > purpose of libsmbclient, but you just happen to find in the library.
> > Watch out, these can and will change without notice...
> >
> Yes, I understand that many functions I need are more in utils/net
> than in the pure smbclient library.
> What's going to happen ?! Are you talking about the samba4 branch ?

Unfortunately there is a misunderstanding of the role of libsmbclient
here.  The purpose of this library is *only* the filesystem interface,
and as much as you may be able to cludge other functions out of it,
these may change without notice.

One of the many bugs filed against libsmbclient is the fact that these
symbols are exposed (which creates massive namespace problems in other
applications).

We need a more general library, but the only code with any hope in this
area is Samba4 - the Samba3 code took a lot of work to get it as far as
libsmbclient, I would be pessimistic at providing sensible RPC functions
interfaces there.

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at samba.org
Authentication Developer, Samba Team            http://samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net