Perl bindings for libsmbclient

David Wuertele dave-gnus at bfnet.com
Mon Oct 11 18:40:20 GMT 2004

David> Apparently, there is something for Python but no such thing
David> exists for Perl.  Is there an interest among list members for
David> such a project ? raise you hand if you want to help ;-)

Oh! Oh! Oh! Oh! MEMEMEMEME!

David> Are there specific design or implementation requirements ? Like
David> : static vs dynamic binding, public interfaces vs some
David> interfaces or structures you consider private to some parts of
David> the samba programs, libsmclient in the samba3 or samba3 branch
David> ?

I'm a heavy libsmbclient user.  I'd like to have access to both the
old RAP functionality and the new RPC functionality.  Specifically, at
least these functions:

  cli_api()
  cli_full_connection(), cli_nt_session_open(), cli_nt_session_close()
  cli_srvsvc_net_share_enum()
  init_enum_hnd()
  lp_load(), load_interfaces(), lp_set_name_resolve_order()
  resolve_name(), name_query(), node_status_query()

The API could be improved upon by hiding these functions and making it
more intuitive.  But these functions should still be accessible.

David> I need to act as a client for some monitoring functions (list
David> the shares, see the status). But it also seems I should talk to
David> functions specific to the 'net' command for administrative
David> operations : it's not clear to me how libsmbclient and net are
David> related : apparently net is not linked to libsmbclient : is it
David> historical or on purpose ?

I have patches which cause the net functionality to be compiled into
libsmbclient.  Let me know if you want them.

Dave