Samba log on limit

Michael B Allen mba2000 at ioplex.com
Fri Oct 8 19:02:46 GMT 2004

On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 11:17:32 -0500
Neal Schilling <n_schilling at charter.net> wrote:

> If I'm not mistaking, the protocol specifications say "If a server
> receives a transport establishment request from a client with which it
> is already  conversing, the server may terminate all other transport
> connections to that client.  This is  to recover from the situation
> where the client was suddenly rebooted and was unable to  cleanly
> terminate its resource sharing activities with the server."

First, the leach draft and SNIA document do not fully represent
reality. CIFS developers follow what they observe on the wire (god bless
Ethereal) and only use the documentation as a guide. That's why the SNIA
document is a "Developers Reference" and not a specification. In fact I
don't believe I have ever observed the behavior described in the verse
you cited.

> Although
> this is referring to a computer, not a single user, it could be extended
> to include this and still be within the designation of the protocol.

This is sort of already supported. If the SMB_COM_SESSION_SETUP_ANDX
vc_number field is 0 all other clients from that source (ip?) will be
disconnected. But in practice I don't recall ever seeing that value being
0. Usually it is 1 meaning multiple transports from the same client are
permitted. I guess resources just aren't that tight anymore.

Mike

--
Greedo shoots first? Not in my Star Wars.