large file support in smbfs

Richard Sharpe rsharpe at richardsharpe.com
Thu Oct 7 07:00:29 GMT 2004

On Wed, 6 Oct 2004, Michael B Allen wrote:

> David Wuertele said:
> > My embedded system (linux-1.4.18) currently uses smbfs (stock) and
> > smbmount (from 3.0.6) to access shares on the network, but I'm running
> > into problems with >2GB files, only on smbfs.
> <snip>
> > I have heard that smbfs works fine with
> >>2GB files, but so far I haven't found any clues as to what I need to
> > do to enable it.
> >
> > Any suggestions of where to start troubleshooting?
>
> You might be better off asking the smbfs maintainer. Smbfs is not part of
> Samba.
>
> Anyway, try to download the source to 1.4 and 2.4 and do a diff. If the
> changes aren't too dramatic you might be able to devise a patch yourself.

I would imagine that there are a couple of issues here.

1. Does Linux 1.4.18 support files larger than 2GB?

2. If it does, then the differences are mainly in using slightly different
forms of the Read&X and Write&X SMBs, along with indicating the correct
flags, IIRC, in a NegProt reply, etc.

Regards
-----