Account can only be used to login one at a time

Jim Potter jim at gangermin.co.uk
Wed Oct 6 08:20:03 GMT 2004

I reckon a way forward here could be PAM - I wrote a pam module that
looked stuff up out of the session.tdb database - you coiuld do the same
thing here - if a userid already has more than a specified number of
entries [like none] in the session database, use pam to make his login
fail. I don't know how quick session.tdb is updated in a workstation is
killed - the facility to limit concurrent connections exists on netware
4, and it took ~1/2 hour to clean up the list if a user pulled the power
to their machine.

hope this helps

Jim Potter

Wong Onn Chee wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks for all those who replied, especially Andrew.
>
> Let's not go down the "tied to NetBios" name route.
> This is because the purpose is to block multiple logins by the same
> account, not tying an account to a machine.
> The NetBios method will also "immobilise" the users.
>
> If Samba on its own cannot achieve this, as pointed out by Andrew, I
> am thinking of using pGINA at the client end, and RADIUS, Samba and
> OpenLDAP on the server end. This means the Windows client will use the
> RADIUS plugin in pGINA to authenticate, continue to map the shared
> drives via Samba and synchronise their profiles via the FTP pGINA
> plugin. On the server end, both Samba and RADIUS are tied to a common
> LDAP backend to provide account integrity and ease of management.
>
> I believe RADIUS is a more suitable protocol to provide extensive
> account monitoring capabilities than NTLM.
>
> Just my two cents worth.
>
> Christopher R. Hertel wrote:

>>> This much we already have, on a 'workstation self exclusion' level,
>>> it's
>>> the 'allowed workstation' (sambaUserWorkstations in LDAP I think)
>>> attribute in the passdb.
>>>
>>> Now, the main failure it is that's set by netbios name, so fails as
>>> soon
>>> as the user tries to use smbclient, and sets that for themselves.
>>

>> Right.  I thought we had something like this, but that it used the
>> NetBIOS name (which is very easily spoofed).  I suppose, however,
>> that it is a little tiny bit more difficult to spoof a machine name
>> on a Windows box (using Microsoft's built-in client).
>>

>>> We
>>> could honour the ldap records that pam_ldap uses, that add a DNS/IP
>>> host
>>> restriction.  (However, this faces problems with member servers, as