ADS DM Client Can Not Connect to Samba

Doug VanLeuven roamdad at sonic.net
Fri Oct 1 07:48:58 GMT 2004

John H Terpstra wrote:

>Doug,
>
>Thanks for the feedback. I'll summarize to this list my findings late
>tomorrow. I tried samba-3.0.6, 3.0.7, 3.0.8pre1, 3.1.0SVN - all failed to
>permit a Windows XPPro and Windows 2000Pro clients of an ADS domain to
>connect to a Samba server that is an ADS domain member. I tried this with
>Win2000 ADS as well as with Win2003 ADS. In all cases, when the client does a
>SessionSetupX using kerberos credentials the samba server reply causes the
>client to drop the connection. The client tries 3 times before giving up. It
>then presents the user with a logon box. No valid username/password pair will
>permit Samba server access.
>
>Before reporting details I will verify on a newly installed environment.

John,
My situation is as you describe, 2003 server with win2kpro clients
connecting to samba AIX & linux servers joined with "net ads join".
I've been having so much success with this the last few weeks,
I was planning on deploying this to our core fileservers by Oct 10.
Now I'm rattled a bit.
Am I going to get bit by something I haven't yet seen
or have I gotten past whatever it is?
Or has my specific configuration put me in a niche?
If I can help by sharing my personal experience, please count me in.
Just let me know the level of detail that might be helpful.

Regards, Doug