Japanese share name

Jonny Larson Jonny.Larson at nokia.com
Tue Nov 30 01:26:01 GMT 2004

Hello:
I'm getting error NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME from cli_send_tconX when I
pass a Japanese share name.  Doesn't seem to matter what encoding I use
for the share name (tried Shift-JIS and UTF-8, etc).  The server is a
Samba 2.2.7.  If I run a Samba 3.x server there's no problem.

Upgrading to Samba 3.x is not an option.  What were the changes in 3.x
that enabled this to work?  Is there any configuration options I could
set (in the smb.conf file) or something that may help get this to work?

Any and all information would be greatly appreciated.