Rename nmblookup to nbtstat

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Mon Nov 22 21:07:02 GMT 2004

On Mon, Nov 22, 2004 at 02:45:38PM -0600, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:

> Steven Edwards wrote:
> | Hello,
> | Can we rename nmblookup to nbtstat for Samba 4.0? I think
> | this would help new administrators coming from Windows as
> | nmblookup does almost the same thing that nbtstat does on
> | Windows.
>
> actually nbtstat is quite limited compared to nmblookup.
> At least un my experience.  Renaming nmblookup would be a
> bad thing IMO.

I can think of three reasons not to rename nmblookup.
1) Lot's of folks already know the current name.
2) The nmblookup name is similar to nslookup, which is familiar to folks
   in the Linux/Unix/BSD world.
3) The DOS nbtstat command works directly with the NBT subsystem within
   the OS.  It queries the local name table for much of the information it
   reports, and causes the NBT layer to send queries for only a few of the
   options.  Unlike nbtstat, the nmblookup program is stand-alone.  It
   does almost all of it's work by communicating directly on the wire.
   Even if you query the local host, you're sending and receiving UDP
   packets.  The only exception, I believe, is that nmblookup will check
   the unexpected packet queue (this is to handle buggy W95 and WfWG
   implementations).

Different tools doing different jobs, really.

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org