winbind startup script [was Re: svn commit: samba r3708 - in branches/SAMBA_3_0/source/smbd: .]

Lars MÜLLER lmuelle at SuSE.de
Fri Nov 12 22:18:44 GMT 2004

On Fri, Nov 12, 2004 at 10:44:15PM +0100, Volker Lendecke wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 12, 2004 at 03:37:20PM -0600, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:
> > SO then does anyone have a good idea for checking whether or
> > not winbind should be started?
>
> My option would be "always", but that is a bit biased as I've put quite a bit
> of work into winbind.

By default activate also the winbind service if the smb service is
active?  That's in general possible with the SuSE insserv mechanism
(which complies to the LSB requirements).

It's possible to define a required or a should be started service inside
another service by the INIT INFO meta header of a init script.

If smb requires winbind then you have to enable winbind if you want to
enable smb.  And such a hard requirement is not good as there might be
situations where a admin didn't want or need a started winbind.

Currently winbind is already part of the Should-Start line which ensures
that an active winbind service is started before an active smb service.

> From my point of view there is simply no reason anymore
> not to run winbind. Maybe a pure standalone server is the only exception, but
> this is quite fiddly to find out in a shell script.

The only way I see is to document the advantages of winbind at different
places.  I'll do this for the Samba chapter of the next printed manual.

Lars
--
Lars MÜLLER [ˈlaː(r)z ˈmʏlɐ]