samba ads -- failure to look up hostname in userdatabase (in reply_spnego_kerberos)

Hansjoerg Maurer Hansjoerg.Maurer at dlr.de
Thu Nov 11 08:06:01 GMT 2004

Hi

I have successfully joined a W2003 AD with samba-3.0.8
Accessing shares from a samba server with a windows2000 host (rmts1)
works but is significantly slower than before (samba as an NT4 Domain
member).

I found that when accessing the sahre samba starts logging.
[2004/11/11 08:30:48, 1] smbd/sesssetup.c:reply_spnego_kerberos(250)
  Username NTROBOTIC\rmts1$ is invalid on this system

(i can send a level10 if it is needed)

We have a Unix NIS Userdatabase and the same Usernames in AD.
Winbindd is running and the domainusers are shown with.
[root at rmcs31 samba]# wbinfo -u | grep -i rmts1
RMTS1$
or (depending on the settings of winbind trusted domains only)
[root at rmcs31 samba]# wbinfo -u | grep -i rmts1
NTROBOTIC\RMTS1$

Even if I put winbind in my /etc/nsswitch.conf (which I actually don't
want to, because we allready have the users in NIS)
and getent passwd shows RMTS1$ or NTROBOTIC\RMTS1$, the error still occurs.

Side Note:
The error occurs only once, if I access the share via (search computer->
doubleclick on computername etc or via network neibourghhood-whole
network...)
If I access it via a network resource, I added under network
neibourghhood, the error from above is produced appears for every file i
open,
which slows down the progress a lot...

Thank you very much

Hansjörg Maurer

Dr.  Hansjoerg Maurer           | LAN- & System-Manager

Deutsches Zentrum               | DLR Oberpfaffenhofen
  f. Luft- und Raumfahrt e.V.   |
Institut f. Robotik             |
Postfach 1116                   | Muenchner Strasse 20
82230 Wessling                  | 82234 Wessling
Germany                         |

Tel: 08153/28-2431              | E-mail: Hansjoerg.Maurer at dlr.de
Fax: 08153/28-1134              | WWW: http://www.robotic.dlr.de/