Samba-3.0.7-1.3E Active Directory Issues

Markus Moeller huaraz at moeller.plus.com
Tue Nov 9 21:24:17 GMT 2004

I got some details from MS of how the salt has changed for computer accounts
in 2003:

In 2003 (not sure if it is SP1) computer accounts and only computer accounts
take the following salt:

1) For a principal host/testserver.mycountry.mydomain.com at MYREALM.COM mapped
to testserver-host the salt is:

MYREALM.COMhosttestserver-host.myrealm.com

2) For a principal HTTP/testserver.mycountry.mydomain.com at MYREALM.COM mapped
to testserver-HTTP the salt is:

MYREALM.COMhosttestserver-HTTP.myrealm.com

3) For a principal root/admin at MYREALM.COM mapped to root-admin the salt is:

MYREALM.COMhostroot-admin.myrealm.com

assuming the realm MYREAL.COM belongs to the windows domain myrealm.com

w2k and user accounts in 2003 are unaffected.e.g.

A principal HTTP/testserver.mycountry.mydomain.com at MYREALM.COM mapped to
testserver-HTTP has the salt:

MYREALM.COMHTTPtestserver.mycountry.mydomian.com which is the output of
krb5_principal2salt

The correct salt is also send in the KERB_error reply under Error Data ->
Preauth data list -> PA-ETYPE-INFO -> encryption type ->  PA-PW-SALT  if
you fail to authenticate with a keytab.

Does this help ?

 Regards
 Markus